Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Welcome Back to the City of New Orleans

She left Chicago yesterday. I left Wilmer today. We met in Magnolia, Mississippi.

Magnolia is just flat beautiful. It is the essence of small town historic Mississippi.

The old depot and surrounding area is a park. The old downtown still survives as a viable center of commerce.

I arrived after sitting in Chatawa contemplating my next move.
The post office is closed.  I was lucky enough to have visited with the postmaster shortly before the doors shut for good.  Now it's a quiet place to watch trains and the gorgeous Tangipahoa River. The original bridge was washed away and replaced. The natural spring was paved over because of noxious littering by Democrats.







I was off to Magnolia in hopes of catching the passenger train's reentry. I heard horns but they were not "right" for an Amtrak engine. It was a CN freight barreling south running from my approaching target.

 

 Yes, rain was forecasted, so 4 wheels with a cover was a great idea.




 The Magnolia Depot is gorgeous.  But, it has something over the monument which is the McComb Depot, it's small town smaller and more homie.

 

 

 The walkway crosses the tracks to a small park which borders the downtown businesses.

 

 I tried both sides of the track for what I knew would be a bang bang attempt at a shot in this narrow alley.

 

 The old "team track" is still in place.



Another angle attempt. This one had the most going for it.



I sat.



Then I noticed the "rock". WOW!



Yes it was.
And here she came. FAST!!
My big camera, now in the garbage, jammed.  I didn't trust it and had a little one with me in my shirt pocket.   I ripped it out and it flew into action .. the prize ... "bang bang bang".





Lucky shot ... Pop.  This is not a still picture.














There she went.  I hauled it out to the interstate to try to catch her at Arcola. Nope, not this time.
There was nothing to slow her down.  It had been a good couple of hours.  No complaints.